Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Day 2: State House, Canvassing, & More!

Today was another full day of activities and working!

This morning we made our way to the New Hampshire's State capitol, Concord and we visited the State House. It was very beautiful, no shade to Florida, but much nicer in comparison. We entered the gift shop where it was full of memorabilia from past and present elections, lots of cool stuff in there. We were then given a tour by a very nice and knowledgable lady. We were able to see the Senate Chambers and the room where the Representatives meet. I learned just how democratic New Hampshire truly is with over 400 reps for the entire state, I believe the 3rd largest in the world? Truly crazy considering how small of a state it is. I also learned how when you are a rep or a senator in NH you are basically doing volunteer work because you only get paid $200 a year and that is not even before taxes. (Yikes) One can see how this would cause for the majority of both bodies to be elderly people but there are still some youngin's in there. For example, Cassie Levesque is a member of the House and she was appointed at 19, the youngest ever elected. Fun fact, she also endorsed Elizabeth Warren, so we like her a lot. Our professor's friend even stopped by for a visit, Rep. Patti Cornell, she was a very lovely lady and told us a little bit about what her job entails. 

After that visit we made our way to the New Hampshire GOP headquarters. 

Then, we finally got to go to our campaigns! My van ride was a short ride away because my HQ is in Concord. Upon arrival we were assigned our packet and hit the ground running. I flew solo today canvassing and had some pretty good conversations with voters that I really enjoyed. People are still undecided so it is my job to convince them that Senator Warren is the woman for the job. When we came back from canvassing we were able to phone bank and this was actually my first time phone banking and it was quite interesting. I spoke to a couple of republicans who were nice and some were not... that's ok! We wished them the best and moved onto the next person! Overall, a lot of hang-ups but probably because it's 2020 and no one wants to answer their phone, lol! 


Finally, we finished our day with dinner at the Barley House which was excellent, 10/10 recommend if you ever find yourself in New Hampshire! Now I am off to bed to get some rest for another fun-filled day!

Each day must start with the obligatory van selfie. This is Tom our driver, we love Tom. 
 Each candidate brings their own placard and signs it for it to go up on the wall. They always come in person, it is tradition! What NH is all about.
 Cool street art we saw on our canvass route today!
 Phone banking selfie with these cuties!
 Dinner selfie with the Warren gang!

We've only been here for 3 days and I have already gotten this look multiple times. Pray for me. (Jk, she's an angel and we <3 her)

1 comment:

Where Do We Go From Here?...

**(This is not apart of the required blog posts for class but I need to write my feelings out and also I want this on record.)** As we wer...