Friday, February 7, 2020

Day 5: Canvassing (again), Two Recruits, & Debate Vis!

Hi again! Happy Friday! We are on day five and we are only four days out from the first in the nation primary! Ahhh!!!

Started the day driving with Jose to HQ, which you already know entailed dancing to Bruno Mars. I was here for it, a great way to start the day. We also had two people jump ship from Bernie and came to Team Warren!! Welcome Ms. Mitchell and Ms. Hall, we are lucky to have you ladies!

Arriving at our campaign we were assigned a packet to canvass and today we were able to go in pairs. I went with my roomie Melanie and we had some pretty good conversations with people. People did answer the door more for us today, the campaign said they would because they feel bad with how cold it is outside. It was reallllllly frigid and was sleeting at one point! This born and raised Florida gal was trying her best in these weather conditions. Also, the thickest "coat" I brought/had was a rain coat so I was severely underprepared for the weather we'd been having in NH the last couple of days. It's ok, we improvised, adapted, and overcame by layering! One of my favorite parts of canvassing is seeing all the cute New England homes, my heart.

After canvassing came debate vis. Boy, oh boy, was that fun. A couple of things:
1.) I have never been so cold in my life and I don't think I ever will be again.
2.) When your clothes get wet, game over.
3.) Who made this a thing & why?!

So you may be asking to yourself, what is debate vis? Well friend, it is basically where each campaign brings signage, any way you can think of to mount a sign we had it. The point is to make your candidate the most visible, basically pushing each other off a sidewalk to take up the most space with your signs. You do this all before the big debate that takes place before the primary. Picture me holding a sign triple my size with rain/sleet/snow coming sideways with wind to add. We were out there for 4 1/2 hours and there were multiple times throughout the night where I thought I would be frozen to that sidewalk for the rest of my life or succumb to hypothermia, whatever came first. While I appreciate the concept and tradition, it's a no from me.

While I will probably have lasting health problems from debate vis, it did come with rewards! First, I got to meet Bailey, AGAIN! He warmed my heart and my hands. Vermin Supreme even made an appearance and I got to meet him, I almost forgot he was a real person. I also got to meet Roger Lau. He is Elizabeth Warren's head campaign manager, he personally thanked and hugged almost all the volunteers doing vis (Including Erica & I). He was a super sweet guy and we even grabbed a selfie with him. (See below) Jose FINALLY came and got us, we SPRINTED to the car and I flailed myself into the van, I have never hugged anyone harder than when I hugged Jose. He saved us from the cold, my hero. Still debating if this should go on my professor's evaluation for the near-death experience she put us through, stay tuned for updates.

Will report back tomorrow, cya!


All smiles canvassing for our queen!


 Melanie & I making teamwork make the dream work!


Knock knock



They wasn't home :(


After it rained/sleeted/snowed sideways, haha. I was not okay.
 Before^ (wait for the after)
Tom snapped some pictures of us instead of bringing us dry clothes. 


I think I was frozen in this position for quite some time.

Roger Lau!!!!!

After ^ 
I call this the final four of debate vis, we were the only ones who remained. A+'s for us all, right Dr. JSM'?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Do We Go From Here?...

**(This is not apart of the required blog posts for class but I need to write my feelings out and also I want this on record.)** As we wer...