Saturday, February 8, 2020

Day 6: Guest Prof, A Congressman, GOTV Canvass, & 100 Club Dinner!

We are 3 days away from the FITN primary, ahhhh!!!

Today was another day filled with non-stop activity!

I may have woke up this morning with a little food poisoning but it's ok we persisted! We started the day with a guest, Professor Scala. He gave us really great insight on the 2020 democratic race, we also read some excerpts from his book and we got to discuss that as well. Immediately after him we met with Congressman Chris Pappas. Fun fact: He is the first LGBTQ+ person elected to the New Hampshire congress, we stan. He was a super nice guy who had lots of advice to give about working across the aisle.

Next, we went to our campaign HQ. Guess what we did!? We canvassed. Today was a little different because our office was the kick-off for a big event that the Warren team was having. We even had a special guest, Congressman Jim McGovern from Worcester, MA. He gave us all a motivating speech before we hit the ground to knock out a packet. Having some really good conversations with voters and having good weather it was a perfect day to canvass.

The last event of the day was going to the McIntyre-Shaheen 100 Club Dinner! My professor is a queen and scored us tickets to the dinner. Even though we did not get dinner, our purpose was to watch the people sitting on the floor watching the candidates speak. We were able to sit in the Warren section to cheer her on when she came out to speak. The RTWH students even had the privilege of holding the enormous letters that spelled "courage." I held the G because I am as the kids would say, a "G" (gangster) It turned out to be more of a daunting task than originally thought because there was a method to their madness but that's ok, we overcame! I attached a picture that EW uploaded to all her socials below!!

It was awesome seeing all the people of the Democratic Party speak. We saw alllll the candidates speak, Raymond Buckley (I mentioned him earlier, he's the chair of NHDP), Senator Jeanne Shaheen, a couple of different NH senators/reps, Rep. Chris Pappas, & many more.

Little fun side story for you. We were texting in our group chat and someone asked (jokingly) for our professor to bring us food. She ended up actually coming from the floor to bring us shrimp in a napkin because she's an angel. We acquired the shrimp and began passing it out among our group. Wait, it gets better. Fast forward to tonight and I am looking through C-SPAN footage and they zoomed in on us passing the shrimp down and you can see us stuffing our faces. Iconic, honestly. I attached the video below. I'm pretty sure you can see me licking my fingers, we keep it classy.

After a journalism student from American University interviewed Erica & I, we gave him our opinions on Elizabeth Warren. Stay tuned for updates for when that piece is published!

A GREAT day, can't believe the trip is almost over!!


How ILL I looked this morning.
 Thank u Mr. Terrell for the tums, I owe you my life.

 Waving at Tom who got to sit with the fancy people!
 Look who came to say hi!!!
 We made it to C-SPAN babbbbyyy
 RTWH group with Congressman Chris Pappas
 It was huge in there
 Smiling through the pain of holding giant letters :)
 Sending hearts to Dr. JSM, Jose, & Tom. 


I want to be Senator Jeanne Shaheen when I grow up because she literally has a dinner and a sign named after her. We stan. 
Technically we made it to all of EW's socials because she posted this on all of them. Basically famous.
I am dead




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Do We Go From Here?...

**(This is not apart of the required blog posts for class but I need to write my feelings out and also I want this on record.)** As we wer...